Selecting the right custom home builder for a new dream home can make a huge difference between a building experience that is delightful and high quality or one that is unpleasant and leaves a bad taste in a buyer’s mouth. Choosing the right custom home builder starts with asking the right questions.
A home builder’s reputation is very important, along with relevant professional credentials. Especially in a tight community like Cincinnati and surrounding suburbs, word travels quickly about the pros and cons of working with a given custom home builder. Be sure to ask around and learn as much about a potential building partner as possible. Check the company history and ask questions like the following:
- How many years have they been in business?
- Is the company bonded and insured?
- Is the company a member of the local builder association?
- Are any referrals or testimonials available?
- Does the company have a good reputation?
Brookstone Homes is proud to have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and plenty of glowing customer testimonials available from our satisfied clients.
Ten Key Questions
Home buyers need to ask lots of questions in the process of seeking that forever home. One of the ways to do that is to create a list of important questions that you’ll want to ask when you speak with your custom home builder. This way you don’t forget important points during your conversations or meetings with prospective builders. Start with the following ten to get started:
- Does the builder use floor plans supplied by the homeowner?
- How does customization work?
- What energy-saving features are offered?
- Does the intended community have a homeowners association (HOA)?
- What is the process for quality inspection during construction and final walk-through?
- Who will be the direct point of contact for questions?
- How often will the home buyer have access to property during building process?
- Is there a warranty?
- Do you have references from former buyers available?
References are very important to home buyers in the process of buying a new home and hiring custom home builders to execute on your dreams. Checking with others who have used the builder helps solidify their work ethic and the quality of their finished product. A good reputation speaks volumes if customers are satisfied. Check with subcontractors, vendors, banks or commercial builders to find out about how bills are paid, financial responsibility, and whether ratings are consistent for good work and customer satisfaction.
Custom home builders handle change orders differently. Find out how your prospective builder handles change orders to make sure there are no hiccups in communication along the way. If change orders are too much, it can overwhelm the builder. Asking questions up front and creating a positive, open communication channel with the builder is the best way to ensure a fun, easy process from start to finish for builders and buyers.
Ultimately, it pays to go with the gut. If it feels right and everything checks out, it’s probably a good match. Taking the time to ask the right questions can help feel out whether this will be a good match to build that beautiful custom home the family has always wanted.
If you’re ready to build a custom home of your dreams, call Brookstone Homes. We’ll walk you through the process and disclose all the information you need to make the best decision before and during the home building process.
Call us to find out how to get started!